Monday, September 19, 2011

poetry monday

this week we are working on form. 
the shape poems will not translate well here, but we tried our hand at haiku (5/7/5 syllables), cinquain (2/4/6/8/2), and tanka (5/7/5/7/7) among others

               morning
              
           when breakfast is done
           cereal boxes litter
           my nice clean counter

daydreams in the sun
I am a knight with a castle
in this world, I am me

                              food fight
                              melon
                              high flying food
                              popcorn zooms overhead
                              carrots and onions get even
                              very odd

  winter
  icy blowing
  wind makes me huddle deep
  in the blankets but i still have
  cold feet

        in the dead of night
        the ice cream bandit attacks
        sneeking through the halls
        snatching up entire stocks
        what will I eat for dessert?

                          ridged rules of rhyme -
                          how do the Japanese cope?
                          counting every line
                          it's hard; i feel like a dope
                          so i say: No TANKA-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment