Wednesday, December 31, 2014

top 9 of 2014

do I have to? (pick 9, I mean?)


this year's tally is a sad 62.
(I think that subscribing to Macleans - while making me a better informed individual - is eating up my valuable reading time... oh, and maybe I've developed an addiction of binge watching Boardwalk Empire, Orange is the New Black, Fringe, House of Cards, Nurse Jackie, Flight of the Concords, and (gulp) Sons of Anarchy)


and, although I could list the top 9, the last 3 on the list would just be OKs.
instead this a very short list of books that truly moved me this year:


Life Itself
 roger ebert was a beautiful human being that lived a graceful life. we could all learn from his example


Behind the Beautiful Forevers
 so many books set in india, yet this one is non-fiction, written by a white woman who needed a translator and tons of patience to find this piece of humanity


The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays & Stories
 she died so young; this author would have gone on to write a masterpiece. and the story of forgiveness that is found in the first few pages will fill your heart


The Interestings
 deeply personal to me, a coming of age for my particular generation. how do we cope with peers that surpass us in wealth and stature?


How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia
 I may be frightened to read this again. the echo of death is on every page and the final entry feels like the goodbye is coming for you now


Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
 too light to be on this list? but once I felt smug judgement on the queen bees of my life, the tables turned and I saw my own vanity and foibles

No comments:

Post a Comment